CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 10, 2010

And so it begins...

I did my official weigh-in this morning (we had started a small weight loss competition with some friends that I'm actually no longer part of so I've lost probably about 5lbs over the last weekish but I'm just going to start with this morning's number for tracking purposes).  

My plan:

I know my limitations and weaknesses so I have to start slow.  As far as my eating habits I am going to start with portion control.  I am also going to wean myself off of processed sugars (something I was told would help lessen the effects of the fibromyalgia) and increase my water in-take by a lot!  The actual food I eat probably won't sound the healthiest, but I know by starting with the portion control it'll help (and once we can go to the grocery store next Friday I'll buy foods to work more on the actual type of foods I'm eating!)

As for exercise:  this is where the fibromyalgia really will limit me.  I read that exercise for a fibromyalgia patient is like a two edged sword.  If you get into a normal routine, over time your body will hurt less on a normal basis. At the same time though, exercising will make it hurt more - a lot more - for a while.  It's suggested that where a normal routine to build your endurance will go in say 15 minute increments, I should only go in 5 minute increments.  Right now I can walk about a mile before the pain consumes me - which is about 15-20 minutes (depending how the pain was when I started) so that's where I'm going to start.  I'll walk a mile once or twice a day for the next 2 weeks.....then increase by a half a mile and so forth.

We finally brought our bikes down  from Cleveland so I'll probably test the waters and see how I do on that as well.  They make for a good date with Matt so hopefully I can bike for at least a little while.  

1 comments:

Jodi Reeve

Melissa, I wish you all the best. It sounds like an uphill battle and one that will come with challenge, but so rewarding! Just take it a day at a time, I know it is a struggle every day to make the decisions to lead to a healthier weight. I will be back joining you in the battle once the baby is born. I know you can do it!

Post a Comment